Monday, November 16, 2009

Love and a different kind of wedding vow

In the Philippines, a predominantly Christian country, more than once did I hear this verse quoted from the bible during weddings:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

But a thought came to me: what if we substitute "love" with the name of your spouse-to-be or your name? Then the verse becomes something else. It becomes a promise. A pledge. Something that we should aspire to be. Something we can ask ourselves if it is something we can emulate for the rest of our lives. Something that can be our wedding vow. Shall we give it a try?

(Imagine saying this at the altar facing your future spouse): I will be patient, I will be kind. I will not be envious, I will not boast, I will not be proud. I will not be rude, I will not be self-seeking, I will not be easily angered, I will keep no record of wrongs. I will not delight in evil but rejoice with the truth. I will always protect, always trust, always hope, always persevere. I will never fail...

Sounds like a really difficult task, isn't it? The next time you read or hear this verse, you might want to re-think what love is and what it is that you are promising the person with you at the altar.

Just something to ponder on as you prepare for your big day. The dress? Check. The flowers? Check. The cake? Check.

How about your wedding vow? Can you really live up to the promise of love?

Check :-)


No comments: